Most paid traffic sources yield immediate results as opposed to free resources that may take some time to put in place. However the majority of free traffic resources have more durable benefits and SEO Bang than paid traffic sources!
Below are my Top 10 sources of free traffic:
1. Social Media – Social media sites allow you to create a dialogue with your target market. But the key to winning in social media is to provide value. Whether this be in the form of interesting links, cool resources, or encouraging quotes. The key to all forms of social media is to focus on providing value.
2. Content Aggregators – There are a few sites for this including AllTop.com and 9Rules. These sites will allow you to submit your site and its content to be reposted there with huge traffic returns. There are other content aggregators out there as well, but these two are the best.
3. High-Profile Content Syndication – As you probably know, simply submitting you articles to sites like EzineArticles.com is becoming less and less effective. You can get exponentially more results by zoning on in high-profile content syndication – submitting your articles to the top blogs and websites in your niche.
For example, here are just a few top-tier websites that accept article contributions:
No matter what market you’re in, there are very popular websites that you could be submitting articles to for massive traffic.
4. Guest Blogging – Writing a guest blog post for someone will really boost the return you get to your own blog posts, especially if you can land a spot on a major blog that gets significant traffic. The thing about this is that it is actually quite easy to do. When you ask for a guest blogging spot, don’t mention things like traffic or posts. Just show them the quality of your writing. If it’s good and it adds value, they’ll be interested in having it on their site.
5. Trackbacks – Trackbacks are huge traffic boosters. But, to get them you need your posts to be mentioned elsewhere. Have social bookmarking links on every post (Sociable is a good plugin for this) and submit them yourself when possible.
6. Write Tutorials – If you know how to do something, share it with the world. Tutorials are a huge source of traffic right now on sites like Instructables.com or WikiHow.com. Write up a short tutorial on something you’re especially skilled in and it will almost always generate traffic on those sites.
7. WSOs – If you’re not already a member of the Warrior Forums, get over there and signup. Full access costs $20 and after you’ve posted at least 30 messages and responses, you can start using the WSO forum. WSOs (Warrior Special Offers) are deals you’d offer only to fellow forum members. These are all fellow marketers, so if you offer a free report with affiliate links in it, or just a link back to your blog, the traffic will come flowing in.
8. Buy Existing Sites – The easiest way to ensure traffic is to buy a site that already has it. There are plenty of site marketplaces out there including Flippa.com and Sitepoint.com. Some sites are vastly overpriced, but I’ve seen marketers pick up 6 month old blogs with 50+ hits a day for less than $300. There are some good deals here.
9. Embed Your Videos – Video embedding is simple and will always generate additional traffic. Once you’ve submitted a video to YouTube, embed that link on sites like MetaCafe where it can be aggregated. The more sites you submit it to, the more traffic it will generate to your site.
10. Affiliate Offers – You probably already know that affiliate offers are the ideal way to make money from your website but did you know they are a great source of free traffic as well? Using offers that fit your site’s keywords well written articles containing affiliate offers will provide you with valuable long term traffic and improve your sites organic search engine ranking.
Marketing isn’t a one track activity. If you’re serious about making big bucks with your new website, you’ll need to get creative to maximize the volume of traffic that comes in. That means finding new sources of both paid and free traffic and diversifying enough that you’ll never need to worry about where it comes from again.